Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Kate

I found this a couple of years ago flipping through a book of poetry. It's a little-known poem by the well-known poetess Elizabeth Barrett Browning (author of Sonnets from the Portuguese). I have to wonder if it was written about an actual friend of hers.

This poem caught my attention because it is a tribute to a woman that does not include romantic love--rather unusual in poetry. In fact, romance does not even appear to have entered her life. In it we see the portrait, drawn by a friend, of a young woman now dead, and find glimpses of the influence she had on others.

This poem made me think about the influence I am having. Often influence is so quiet no one, even the influenced, notices it.

What kind of influence are you having? You may not have any idea of your power; I doubt Kate often thought about hers. What will people say about you when you die? Will even people who hardly thought about you sit up and wonder what is different, what's missing?


My Kate

She was not as pretty as women I know,
And yet all your best made of sunshine and snow
Drop to shade, melt to nought in the long-trodden ways,
While she’s still remembered on warm and cold days—
My Kate.

Her air had a meaning, her movements a grace;
You turned from the fairest to gaze on her face;
And when you had once seen her forehead and mouth,
You saw as distinctly her soul and her truth—
My Kate.

Such a blue inner light from her eyelids outbroke,
You looked at her silence and fancied she spoke;
When she did, so peculiar yet soft was the tone,
Though the loudest spoke also, you heard her alone—
My Kate.

I doubt if she said to you much that could act
As a thought or suggestion; she did not attract
In the sense of the brilliant or wise; I infer
’Twas her thinking of others made you think of her—
My Kate.

She never found fault with you, never implied
Your wrong by her right; and yet men at her side
Grew nobler, girls purer, as through the whole town
The children were gladder that pulled at her gown—
My Kate.

None knelt at her feet confessed lovers in thrall;
They knelt more to God than they used—that was all;
If you praised her as charming, some asked what you meant,
But the charm of her presence was felt when she went—
My Kate.

The weak and the gentle, the ribald and rude,
She took as she found them, and did them all good;
It always was so with her—see what you have!
She has made the grass greener even here with her grave—
My Kate.

—Elizabeth Barrett Browning

4 comments:

  1. A brilliant and beautiful picture of influence, Emily!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Kate influenced others to go to God more than they used to, that was all. If that was all I did, I would be completely content. Thank you for sharing this poem! It is a good reminder that quiet influence can do so much more than we realize.

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my favorite line, Julie!
    This poem was a huge inspiration to me. It opened a whole new concept of influence. Glad it could for you, too.

    Praying for your paper!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem, Emily!
    Her life had a great influence on those around her even if, at the time, they didn't realize it. Her thoughtfulness and caring made a mark that we would all do well to strive for! Thank you for the encouragement!

    Praying for you and hoping that your assignments are going well!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete